Being Knowledgeable Is Sexy


Recently, I have been thinking: what makes a person interesting?

And my answer is: knowledge. Let me share with you my story. 

Back in 2019, I started my very first term in Oxford in Teddy Hall (a nickname for St Edmund Hall, which everyone uses). I met a visiting student from China, who was doing his third year in Mathematics. We sometimes had dinner together in the dining hall, with a couple of my other friends. There were a few times where I arrived late for dinner, and met him in the queue too. Those were times where interesting conversations happen. 

Whenever we dined together, I always took the chance to dig his brains for information, after I found out that he was someone who loved sharing his insights on different topics in life and teaching complex mathematical concepts. Whatever topic I brought up, for example climate change, religion vs science, economics, politics.....he would have concrete stuff to say about it, and often made references to articles, books or prominent people in that field. 

During these conversations, I often felt like a student, listening intently to the teacher, sometimes asking questions when I got confused or to probe further. Those were net positive experiences for me, as each conversation opens a different window. It spurred me into thinking more about the stuff around us and learning more about practically just anything. 

If you have "nerdy" friends, go talk to them. You are going to learn so much by being interested in what they do and what they read. Probe their minds and learn about their thoughts. You get a window into another world, just by having a conversation with them. 

Yes, being knowledgeable is sexy. 

Popular posts from this blog

My Relationship with Self-Help Books

What Happened Before the Big Bang?